Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Freedom to Shoot #WildAndFree #GuestBlog

The Freedom to Shoot
by Karen Cone



 I was watching my two year old, Levi, play basketball with his much older siblings, Taylor and Caleb. The two teens would take a few shots and then let Levi shoot. The goal is the standard 10 feet, so there is zero chance that my little one will even come close; the ball barely goes any higher than his own sweet little head. The funny thing is he doesn't mind and neither do we. He shoots and smiles and we all clap for him.

As I delighted in his pleasure of the moment, I couldn't help but think on the freedom Levi was enjoying. There was no pressure to make the basket, no pressure to get it a little higher, no pressure to do anything right. There was only opportunity and freedom. He was not the least bit afraid to run in and take it and relish it.

What a great picture of what Christ desires for me! Everyday my life is filled with opportunities to take a shot for Him, to join something bigger, something eternal. God is giving me an occasion to run in and take the chance and savor it. But, if I am honest, I must admit that I miss many of those chances because of my fears. What if I can't do it? What if I miss? Immediately, I think of ways that I might fail. If I let these fears rule me, I will choose to miss the opening the Father has provided me. God gives me the ball and says, "Here, you get to take a shot now," and I am lost in a world of my deficiencies. I think I can somehow mess this up.

God, however, knows my capabilities and isn't concerned in the least about me scoring the winning basket. He isn't asking me to carry the team. He is simply inviting me to be a part of the victory Christ has won already. The Father would never laugh at me for not getting the ball above my head. If there is any laughter at all, it will be the pure joy of God as He watches His child trust Him. Today I hope to bless the Father by diving into the freedoms and joys He sends my way. Maybe if I watch Levi closely enough, I can begin to learn how.

 "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."
 2 Corinthians 3:17 




 Karen Cone

 Christ Follower, Wife, Mother, Blogger… I am learning to walk in grace with the living God. I desire to encourage and strengthen others in their faith through writing and public speaking.

 Please take a quick trip over to my blog at www.souljourney318.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!