Friday, February 22, 2013

Freedom


Photo by Amelia Grace Photography

Freedom 

By Lori Kennedy

“An inheritance quickly gained in the beginning will not be blessed at the end.”
Proverbs 20:21 (NIV)

With the recent 2012 election, I have seen so many things about the goals of the different candidates and parties and what they believe and stand for. It has been easy to see the division. However, I recently ran across a quote that allowed me to see how much we are all alike in our desires and how those desires, although good, in many cases don’t produce healthy results in the long-run.
Let me explain. You see, I find that it's not about which party you're for, it's about becoming who God made you to be. Romans 5:3-4 says, that we should "rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." The hope for our future comes from our willingness to know that it isn't always an easy road and besides taking responsibility, we may have to work and fight for what's important to us. I believe on some level that in my desire for my children to have 'easy' lives, I have rescued them from suffering and done too much for them in the name of protection. They have not always had to take responsibility for their actions. Let me give you an example.  I did not have a lot of great memories from my childhood. Therefore it's always been a hot button, for me, for my boys to have good memories of their childhood. I have found myself overlooking a punishment in the name of creating a memory; case in point - letting them off of being grounded for one night to go to homecoming. In the same token, I have personally chosen not to suffer at times because rescuing them was easier for me. Still in the name of protecting my children, I took away their ability to learn responsibility because I chose the easier road. There have been times, for example, that I would find out at the last minute that a paper was due the next day. I would stay up late with my child helping them complete the paper.  That, in itself, was not letting them suffer their own consequences. However, I even went a step further. Because it was the easier road, sometimes I would write portions of that paper for them - as I was tired and waiting on them to do it on their own, was harder for me. I can see now that in my desire to protect them, I have actually done them a greater disservice. Because of the lack of responsibility needed and suffering required by them, I must now ask myself if I have not allowed them the opportunity to produce the perseverance and character needed to keep hope alive for their future.
Our pilgrim ancestors came to this country not even knowing what they might encounter, but I don’t believe for one minute that they didn’t think it would be a challenge.  They had to re-create their homes, their careers, their very lives from scratch.  They were willing to work hard and take responsibility, as well as many risks, in order to see freedom prevail.  They felt that the sacrifices were worth the hope for their (and for your) future.  Not only did they think beyond themselves, but they also thought past their children, instead they selflessly gave to society as a whole, they knew that creating a whole new country thing wouldn’t be a walk in the park.  So read the quote below and ask God how He would have you sow into your children's lives today . . .. I'm convicted that I've given too much in the name of protection and not allowed my children to take responsibility, and to learn and fight for what they want on their own.  My desire was a good one – protection of my children – and quite honestly a desire I think everyone agrees upon no matter which political party you may support.  However, as you can see below, we could possibly be stealing the very freedom of those we are trying to protect by allowing them to think, through our over protection of them, that their whole life will always be easy.  Sometimes our view of what’s best and God’s view of what’s best do not completely match-up as we can only see what’s right in front of us, whereas God sees the whole picture beyond us, beyond our children and into all future generations. 
Here is a quote about the fall of Athens, Greece by the historian, Edward Gibbon:
“In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.  They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all – security, comfort, and freedom.  When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again.”
Here’s another quote by George Santayana, “Those who don’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it”.  

I have seen that my desire for my children has been security and a comfortable life.  Those things aren’t wrong. However, in my quest for that, have I taken away their willingness to accept responsibility and ultimately, their freedom because I’ve done too much for them in the name of love and not allowed them to navigate their own way even through times of suffering?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!