Friday, August 9, 2013

Focus: Cultivating Relationship ~ by Cheryl Laurenza


Photo by Amelia Grace Photography

FOCUS 

ByCheryl Laurenza

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.”   JOHN 14:6


Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.   COLOSSIANS 4:2

I was thinking on these verses as I read Jesus Calling. It reminded me of many times and situations in my life where I so needed to clearly discern His leading and direction in my life. I also came across a quote by O's Guiness: 

“Calling is the most comprehensive reorientation and the most profound motivation in human experience.”

I believe the key is nothing earth shattering, new or different. We need to be following closely in order to hear and sense leading and direction in any area of our lives. I think we are much too busy, consult way too many people, and take no time to sit, listen, and sense the Spirit. I am afraid we pray a quick prayer and then tack 'In Jesus name' on the end and expect not only that He will do what we want but that it would  be easy and pleasant, that we would not have to seek or listen, just keep going at breakneck speed. 

Please do not hear this as legalism or condemnation. I have always been a grace-based person, yet think I know the balance here and am afraid that some of us have lost, or never cultivated a deep abiding love relationship with Jesus. Remember that it is a RELATIONSHIP. How in the world will we be able to stand in tough times if we have never truly struggled and wrestled, hungered and fought through doubts, fears, and heard His voice calling and comforting through it all saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isa 30:21.  This creates such a thankfulness that 'I get to do this,' not a drudgery. 

My prayer is for all of us as we head into Fall is that we will choose to prioritize our most vital relationship, not in a legalistic "I should do...", but slowing it down enough to put this margin in our lives. 

Loving Him,
Cheryl Laurenza

Cheryl Laurenza, MA, LPC, NCC
CPCS, ACS
The Refuge Counseling Center, LLC
3211 South Cherokee Lane
Suite 640
Woodstock, GA 30188
P: 678 693 2281
F: 888 971 3910

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!