Monday, November 18, 2013

"Beware the Fumes" - by @Lori_Kennedy



Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, ‘children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation’.  Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life.  And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.”  Philippians 2:14-16 (NIV)
I keep a spray bottle of bleach mixed with water in the shower and spray it down from time to time to keep it clean.  Last week when I sprayed the bleach, some of the fumes stung my eyes.  This got me to thinking about how the fumes we leave behind will affect others.  (And no, I’m not talking about methane and what you ate for lunch…haha.)  Will connecting with us sting others or bless them?  Will we be a beacon of light to others or will we increase their stress level?


I’m currently reading The Noticer by Andy Andrews.  In the book, he says that a grateful perspective brings happiness and abundance into your life.  He goes on to say that those that show encouragement and enthusiasm to others receive more of it themselves.  Positive things happen for those with a good perspective, because others want to be around them.  The book The Love Dare from the movie Fireproof says that, when you’re nice to others, they want to be around you because they see you as being good to them and for them, and that all seems to make a whole lot of sense.


So what’s the problem?  Well, for me the problem is that one of my greatest giftings is also one of my greatest detriments when not held in check.  Let me explain.  One of my gifts is in administration and in defining the details.  I’m like a project manager.  I like to take a vision that has been cast (by someone else, because I don’t really have that gift) and pull it apart piece by piece in order to make sure the end result is achievable.  Because of this gift, I find that I’m able to make the path to the end result smoother.  However, because of this gift, I find that I’m not always perceived as positive when I ask questions and scope out potential roadblocks along the way to a vision someone has.


As I live in my gifting, I must make sure that I’m not making mountains out of molehills just because I feel like I’ve got to ensure every single piece fits correctly into the final picture.  It’s okay sometimes to just roll with the punches.  If I’m not careful, my fumes may sting others as I attempt to ensure a smooth path.  The better I understand myself and my need for this type of control, the less I will be controlled by its very need.  This will, in turn, free me up to enjoy the blessings that God has put directly in front of me and be able to brightly shine like a star for Him.  I think my fear of failure causes me to have to plan every step of the way.  This is a shroud of shame I must continue to recognize and lift to Him so that I shine like a star in the universe and so that my fumes will be a sweet smelling aroma that bring others closer to Jesus. 














No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!