Monday, September 29, 2014

Fear Factor! by Cheryl Lutz





 
He makes me lie down in green pastures; 
He leads me beside quiet waters. 
Psalm 23:2 (NASB)








Are you crazy busy?  I challenge you to stop your frantic pace and “lie down in the green pastures and sit beside the still waters.”
 
In his book, A Shepherd Looks at PSALM 23, Phillip Keller says, “Sheep refuse to lie down unless they are free of all fear.”

Have you considered the root of your frantic pace may be fear?  Do you worry that if you stop over-achieving your life will no longer have value? Are you running hard in order to avoid dealing with past and present hurts?  Do you fear that if you lie down in the green pastures you won’t be able to get moving again? 

We all need soul-rest with our Creator, and we must be intentional about making it happen.   I used to run all day every day, refusing to listen to friends who exhorted me that I was doing too much.  The Good Shepherd finally got my attention when I fell flat on my face. After many years of doctors and counseling, we finally realized my problems were three-fold: physical, spiritual, and emotional.  I am doing so much better, and can now see how my neuromuscular and seizure disorders force me to take that precious time in the green pastures and beside the quiet waters with my Good Shepherd.

Living at a frantic pace?  Take a minute to journal about any fear factors you may have.  Like sheep, we cannot rest when we are fearful.

Phillip Keller said, “nothing so quieted and reassured the sheep as to see me in the field.”
“In the Christian life there is no substitute for a keen awareness that my Shepherd is nearby.” 

Take an inventory of your fear factors and talk to a friend or therapist about them. 

“Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” James 4:8 (NASB)



“Casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7 (NASB)

 


Cheryl Lutz is passionate to teach women how to tear down strongholds and find freedom in Christ. A pastor’s wife for twenty-five years, Cheryl possesses a vibrant love for teaching the Word of God. She is the founder of Securely Held, LLC, where she works as a trained and experienced lay counselor and speaker.



You may contact Cheryl through her blog www.securelyheld.com
Twitter: @clutz40










No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!