Friday, November 28, 2014

Part 4 “All Shook Up” Back to Carolina by Debra Courtney



Courtesy of NC State photos

I had visited the Carolina in the last half of that almost 30 years of being gone to attend funerals that were both my maternal grandparents, uncle and my mother. After the sale of our business in 2010, I took a radical sabbatical. Around the beginning of 2012 we began to ponder the thought of moving, but where to?  We had looked at property in other states, but those areas just didn’t set right with me. So I was asked, “Well Debra where would you like to live?” My answer was, I’m going back to Carolina. Like that James Taylor song, “Carolina in My Mind.”  My Son had married. I had two grandchildren whom I had not spent a whole lot of time with and they barely knew me. Also, other family. I needed to go back. It was time.

I will remember the day very vividly when I saw that WELCOME to NORTH CAROLINA STATE LINE sign come into my sight. The journey had come full circle for me and what a ride it had been. We were greeted with smiling faces and hugs to see us.

Although some things had changed, some things still remained the same. The area had been “ALL SHOOK UP” by jobs being sent to other parts of the world; for you see this area was a big furniture manufacturing area in the United States at one time.

One great thing I found out was that it still boosts as the place to be when the Furniture Market takes place in High Point. During the spring and fall, High Point, NC is home to the largest home furnishing industry trade show in the world, bringing more than 85,000 people to High Point. Serious retail home furnishings buyers can be found here because if you can’t find it at the Market it probably doesn’t exit. I LOVE to decorate and stage houses so much I took a course in how to do it. It does come natural to me.

Little did I know that when I was growing up dusting my grandmother furniture that that studious chore would take me in to my own house cleaning business in Atlanta for around 7 years.  At the same time we also opened our own tree service business too.  So I was no stranger to real or personal property issues. 

So, after much prayer, listening and inquiring of the Lord, I went to my local community college and proceeded to obtain a license in the Real Estate business. Needless to say I was about to get all “Shook Up” with all that is entailed in the Real Estate,  but I love it. I love what I do. I love all there is about a beautiful place to live and have beautiful things surrounding me.

However, I am not home yet. I have a piece of Heavenly real estate waiting on me. Sometimes I go to “Heaven in My Mind” if you know what I mean.

Because it is not where we live so much, but where we dwell!


Debra’s life goal is to inspire and motivate women globally to become all they have been created and designed to be by using the guiding principles of their Creator’s word in gaining wisdom, understanding their designed-given personality identities & create their purpose! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!