Tuesday, January 26, 2016

"What Do You Want?" By Debra Courtney




Photo Courtesy: havencaraliers.com



“She was quick: “You’re right Master, but beggar dogs do get scraps from the master’s table”. Matt. 15:27.” MSG



A surplus of leftovers was stacked in the fridge. So precariously, in fact, my thoughts of unpacking the milk for morning tea caused me to settle for yogurt and granola. I had no time to risk the probable avalanche, nor the energy to rearrange before my first cup of tea kicked in.

Like last year as I pushed back from a Christmas Buffet laden with ham, turkey and all the trimmings, etc… I vowed never to eat again. Yet, before the dawn’s early light had broken and with only the light of the refrigerator piercing the morning, my bleary-eyed glimpse of sliced turkey and some persimmon pudding caused me to eagerly anticipate my next meal.

Leftovers are rarely considered choice fare. But, for the Canaanite woman, seen only as a “dog” and deemed unworthy of anything more, even leftovers were desirable.

Desperation regarding her daughter’s illness seized her soul as she pushed past the self-righteous glares of the crowd and fell humbly at the feet of the Master.

Jesus sat silent. (Reading this to myself I am thinking that Jesus is saying to himself, hum; I’ll see what she “says” first before I make a comment.)   

A sense of smugness must have engulfed the disciples as Jesus’ initial reaction appeared to validate their deeply embedded beliefs of superiority. Little did they know, a few “incisive words” from Jesus would quickly extract their shallow roots.

Undaunted by Jesus’ alleged indifference, the Canaanite women voiced her unwavering hope.

Jesus gave in. “Oh woman, your faith is something else. What you want is what you get!” Right then her daughter became well. Vs 28.MSG

Jesus came to save the pharisaical community; yet most blindly looked on in self-righteous indignation. In contrast, the outcast woman believed even a single word or touch from the Master would be enough to restore her daughter’s life.

This morning, as I munch on my yogurt and granola with an abundance of food piled high in my fridge, I question if I take for granted all I have while feeling entitled to more. Do I humbly receive whatever God desires to give me, knowing that even the scraps from his hand will bring more healing to my body than the surplus of leftovers stacked in my fridge?

It is not what we receive, but the spirit with which we receive that brings the results we desire, and the surplus sounds of Thanksgiving our Master longs to hear.

This New Year, give God thanks and share from your place of abundance with those around you.


Debra’s life goal is to inspire and motivate women globally to become all they have been created and designed to be by using the guiding principles of their Creator’s word in gaining wisdom, understanding their designed-given personality identities & create their purpose!  You can contact Debra at dwcscc@yahoo.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!