Monday, August 19, 2013

Hummingbird by @Lori_Kennedy ~ #Trapped ?


Hummingbird 

By
Lori Kennedy  

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) 


One day I walked into my garage to get something out of the freezer and I noticed my boys had left the garage door up when they had left for school.  I also noticed a hummingbird in the garage hitting the top of the ceiling.  I was wondering why it was doing this when the huge open door was right there within its view.  I came back inside and Googled, “hummingbird stuck in garage”.  It’s amazing all the information that became immediately available to me.  Unfortunately, all the ideas were things I couldn’t pull off for various reasons.  For example, the hummingbird would land on the ground where you could reach him to rescue him if there wasn’t any light, but my garage has windows.  However, I did learn that it would only take about an hour for a hummingbird to exhaust himself and starve to death when trapped this way. 

This scenario brought to mind a couple of lessons I want to share with you.  First, I am sometimes trapped by my to-do list.  I feel as though my day has been successful if I complete many things on this list.  As a matter of fact, I have become so trapped by this list at times that I have missed God in the process.  You see, everything in the Bible is about relationship, and although it’s important to continue moving forward in your tasks so that you can complete the things He’s called you to, you don’t want to be so driven that you put what He has planned for you that day behind your task list and potentially miss the blessing that He has prepared just for you.  You see, the hummingbird was so anxious to release himself from the trap he had found himself in, that he was exhausting himself, even to the point of death, in order to get released.  In fact, he was in such frenzy that he didn’t realize the very means to escape was looming directly in front of him.   

The second way to become desperately trapped like the hummingbird in this example is in your self-centered and sin-filled life.  God has placed Himself right in your path and is calling out the way of escape as immense as the light shining into the garage from the open garage door that sunshine filled day, but you miss it as you wear yourself out frantically trying to survive and depend upon your own strength to find a means of escape from that which binds you.   

This story has a happy ending.  Once the bird finally landed in sheer exhaustion, I was able to capture and free him to live as he was meant to live in freedom and abundance and not desperately seeking to remain alive for just a few more moments.  As we continue through this hectic and busy life being ever molded by the Potter, remember to slow down enough to look for Him in your daily life and be willing to find your strength in Him as well.

 

Facebook - lori.d.kennedy
Twitter - lori_kennedy
I-Tunes - Lori Kennedy

Zephaniah 3:17, "The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love.  He will rejoice over you with singing."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!