Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Shine - by @Lori_Kennedy


 
Photo By Amelia Grace Photography
Shine 

Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. Philippians 2:15b-16a (NIV)

We, as Christians, are called to shine the light of Jesus wherever we go.  I had a friend tell me just the other day that we are atmosphere changers inviting the presence of the Holy Spirit in whatever places our physical bodies inhabit.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t always feel like I shine.  I sometimes feel like there is a cloudy film that just envelops me and holds me back from shining the way God has truly called me to shine.  When I take a deeper look at that shroud of shame that covers me at times, I begin to see some things I would like to share with you.
I find that that I shine brighter when I do three things:
1.       RECOGNIZE
The first step is to recognize what’s holding you back from shining.  In many cases this may be your childhood wounds and fears.  Feelings of inadequacy or fear of rejection may hold you back.  You may possibly need to forgive someone for something that they have done to you.  Anytime you make decisions, you are filtering them through something.  Is that something that your decisions are being made through a filter of shame and surrounded by feelings of unworthiness or is that filter the filter of prayer, love and the truth of God’s Holy Word?      

2.      REPLACE
Once you recognize what is stealing your light, then you must replace those lies (from your wounds and fears) with truth.  So you ask how do you do that?  Romans 12:2b (NIV) says to “be transformed by the renewing of your mind”.  The way to remind your mind is put scripture in place of the lie.  For example, if you are feeling like you aren’t good enough, then read Zephaniah 3:17 (NIV), “The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.”
3.      REPRESENT
The final step is to represent God’s glory to the world.  Those that shine brightest have allowed Him to use those broken places to shine through.  In Genesis 50:20 (NIV), Joseph says to his brothers, “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.”

Shine for Jesus!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!