Friday, May 2, 2014

Power of Our Words by: Debra Courtney


 
Forget Eight-Week Body Shaping or 10-Minute Abs. The apostle James said if we want a real workout, try controlling your tongue.

It takes only a spark to start a forest fire! The tongue is like a spark. It is a power that dirties the rest of the body and sets a person’s entire life on fire with flames that come from hell itself.

Are we really serious about making a difference in this world? If so we need to lead with our words. We can do that by keeping the negative words away from us by:

Keeping insults and backhanded compliments to ourselves.

Refusing to talk negatively about people.

On the other hand, our words can be just as powerful in a positive way. We can make a difference in others’ lives by:

Asking the right questions that demonstrate and interest in other people and encourage them to open up.

Offering heartfelt compliments to friends, family members, acquaintances and strangers alike.

Making sincere apologies when they’re necessary.

One way or another, our words will influence others and us. We have the power to determine what kind of impact it will be.

Have you ever said anything to someone that was so sharp, it sounded like you were attaching them?  Then afterward when you thought about what you said, were you embarrassed by your behavior? Were you shocked to realize that you could say something so ugly and derogatory? Did you have to create a recovery situation to fix the mess you created with your words of unkindness? If you are human, we all have been guilty of this.

I am glad that our tongue can be subdued, tamed, and brought under control if we submit it to the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit. Let’s allow this to take place.

What I like to do is…
If I know the person, consider the source. Are the words out of character for them? Have other people had problems with them?

I consider the person’s circumstances. Maybe they are having a bad day and taking out their  frustrations on me. Maybe they is feeling insecure about something.

I consider the person’s intent.  Are they trying to hurt my feelings? Are they trying to make me look bad? Are they trying to point out something to me that I need to be aware of?

I do consider my own role in the matter. Do I have a history with the person? Have I done anything to provoke anger or frustration? Does the person have a reason to want to hurt my feelings?

I send up a quick prayer. Asking God to give me wisdom and understanding I need to respond to the harsh words in a way that please him. Asking God for patience to deal with the person in a calm manner. Asking him for guidance in deciding whether to say anything or not. And ask him for the right words to say if I decide to respond.

If I do choose to respond to the person, I want to hear their side of the story to find out why they are saying and behaving the way they are.

WHATEVER I do, though, I don’t get drawn into a conflict. I know it is demonic and I don’t allow it. I choose to take the high road and I don’t stoop to repaying insult for insult.




Debra’s life goal is to inspire and motivate women globally to become all they have been created and designed to be by using the guiding principles of their Creator’s word in gaining wisdom, understanding their designed-given personality identities & create their purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!