Friday, May 9, 2014

"We Are Tired of This Manna!" by Karen Cone


 Lamentations 3:24  I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore, I will wait for Him."
Almost every day there is a little song and dance we do in the Cone household and it is called mealtime. It goes like this:
Act 1:  the loving and hard working mother (that's me) carefully plans, chops, dices, and cooks a delicious meal.
Act 2:  the remaining players (that's the kids and the hubby) arrive at the table. Blessings are asked.

Then we are on to the main stage of the performance of "Mealtime”. Here are some famous lines from the show:
 "Uggh, Mom, are those tomato chunks? You know I hate the chunks!", "Are there onions in this? 'Cause if there are onions, I'm not eating it." And the oft quoted line: "Didn't we have burritos last week?"

In theatre, we call this the introduction of the "problem". At home, I just call it, "Mom Goes Crazy”.

I put a good amount of time and effort into meal planning, prep, and cooking. I actually like to do it. I used to LOVE to do it.

For me, cooking a good meal is a physical tangible "I love you" message. I am caring for physical and emotional needs when everyone comes around the table for a meal. We get fed and we get to relate. However, all the griping and complaining has me ready to throw in the kitchen towel.

This morning I read in Numbers 21 about the Israelites and how they grew impatient wandering in the desert so they spoke against God and against Moses and said, "Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the desert? There is no bread! There is no water! And we detest this miserable food!"

Did you hear that? They were complaining about the food! I thought, "Wow, God I can so relate to what You are going through! Here You are providing for these people and instead of thanks, they choose to bad mouth what You are doing for them. Manna and water from the rock aren't enough. What a bunch of ingrates!"

But God said in His quiet voice, “I think you might relate more to the Hebrew children, Karen. I hear you at times complain about the portion I have given you. Isn't it a generous and good portion? Do you think I haven't thought through what you need or how to care for you?  I know what you need before you speak it. I am good. I prepare a table for you. Don't scoff at the food I have given you, but receive it with a joyful, thankful heart like the heart you want to see in your children when you are providing for them."

His voice leaves my soul quietly contemplative. He is right. I am like those children of Israel and I am like my own children. I complain, and I make much of what is not here instead of expressing thanks for the many gifts He gives me each day. I am not who I want to be.

Change my heart, O God.


Lamentations 3:24  I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore, I will wait for Him."



Karen loves to write and lead women's support group.  She is learning to walk in God's grace day to day as well as learning to extend that grace to others.  You can follow her blog at karencone.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!