Wednesday, May 7, 2014

"Bare Your Scars. Share Your Story." ~ By Shelley Hendrix @ShelleyHendrix







Love mixed with faith be yours from God the Father and from the Master, 
Jesus Christ.  Pure grace and nothing but grace be with all who love our Master, Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 6:23-24 MSG

Not too long ago, while at the lake with my sister and our children, I had a moment I didn't anticipate.  As I watched my very pregnant younger sister play and interact with her four children while carrying baby #5 in her 8th month of pregnancy, her beauty took my breath away.  In fact, it was her "scars" ~ those marks left by motherhood ~ that made her look so beautiful to me.  I told Stephen about this later and said, "Why is it that I can see "scars" on another person and find them beautiful, but hate my own and wish they could be removed?" 

My family and I love it when we're able to vacation at the beach. (Sand and Sea Therapy, anyone?)  At the beach, you see a whole lotta' skin whether you want to or not.  While our society defines beauty as skin deep (young, perfect, without scars or wrinkles), I felt connection most with folks who looked like real, everyday people..,People like me.  I approached one older woman carrying her small dog, and because I love dogs, I struck up a conversation with her.  She was a bit of a mess, had unusual tattoos in unusual places, and looked a little strange how she was carrying her dog.  I found myself making a little crack about her in my head, when she said, "This dog helps me so much.  I was in a car accident and suffered brain damage.  I don't know what I would do without his help."  That confession changed my perception completely.  She shared a part of her story as I became aware of some of her scars. 

No matter how much of a story we know, we don't know the whole story. 

Your scars tell your story.  Who would be able to read a book containing only empty pages?  Even new, fresh, inexpensive journals become priceless possessions once they've been marked up a bit with our experiences and our thoughts and opinions.  And yet, our culture tells us ~ especially women ~ that our scars, wrinkles, stretch marks, and other signs of real life, make us less valuable or attractive.  Don't let culture dictate beauty for you.  Culture is a fickle judge anyways.  Your body was designed to reveal where life has happened, so bare your scars and share your story.  May God's love and pure grace give you the courage to be who you really are, to share your true self with others, and to be a safe, sacred place for others as well. 


•What scars do you tend to hide?

•How do you feel about your scars?

•How might a change of perception change your opinion about your own scars?

Bare your scars.  Share your story. 

***************************************************

This post was updated from a post previously shared at ShelleyHendrix.com 


Shelley Hendrix is the founder of Church 4 Chicks as well as Shelley Hendrix Ministries and the co-founder of a new ministry collaboration called Team Redeemed (a ministry to those whose lives have been impacted by infidelity). 

You can find Shelley's website, social media links and more at www.ShelleyHendrix.com but you'll typically find her sipping coffee, scrounging for chocolate, and petting her dog while hovered over her laptop. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!