Monday, September 8, 2014

When All Else Fails… ~ A Guest Post by Terence Allen



Photo by Amelia Grace Photography

Philippians 4:6 – “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”

For some reason, the Allen men were born directionally challenged. Whatever else we may be good at, finding our way from Point A to Point B is not one of them. Praise God for GPS systems, on-line mapping programs, and the humility to ask for directions (no matter how much it wounds our pride and self-esteem).

I can’t say that it’s because of plain faulty wiring in my brain, some genetic predisposition (curse would be more accurate), or we are just a family of men who can’t find our way out of a paper bag without our wives’ gracious, generous, gentle help (did I lay that on thick enough?)

Regardless of the reason, I am constantly consulting some help or aid to find my way to my destination. Just as I am often clueless in finding my way across town, I can be even more clueless navigating life. It is much too complex, challenging, difficult, and evil for me to think that I can figure it out on my own.

Just as I sometimes need to ask for guidance in finding physical direction, I need to do the same to find my way spiritually. There is no need for false pride or posturing, no reason to hesitate or delay, and no reason to expect anything but the right answer. I might not like the answer. I might not like where I end up or how I get there, but that doesn’t change the need to ask. We must pray – consistently, continually, passionately, and resolutely. We must trust God for the right answers at the right time.

When all else fails, pray. And next time, don’t wait until you’ve tried everything else.

 
Terence Allen is a writer, pastoral counselor and founder of Gideon's Sword Christian Counseling. He is preparing for ordination as a Pastor of Counseling. He works at and attends Cumberland Community Church in Smyrna, Georgia.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!