Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Deliver Us from Evil by Jennifer O White



There are troubles a plenty in this life. We don’t have to look very far to see that the evil one is busy and productive.

What troubles you?

Is there evil lurking in the lives of those God has given you to love?



In the midst of the trials, the fears, the sufferings, the years of waiting, we have a God who delivers.

I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4

Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him out of them all. Psalm 34:19

For he has delivered me from every trouble, and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies. Psalm 54:7 ESV

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Matthew 6:13

Have you experienced God as your deliverer, as the One who can deliver the one you love?

God delivered Daniel from the mouth of the hungry lions. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were thrown into a furnace (seven times hotter than usual) with their hands and maybe legs bound. And they did not die.

They walked unbound in the fire. God himself untied them. Blows my mind. Our God is so powerful.

I love this part of their experience: “The hair of their heads was not singed, their cloaks were not harmed, and no smell of fire had come upon them.” (Daniel 3:27b) God delivered them from a horrendous death as if it never happened. Wow!

God is still delivering people. Are you expecting that level of transformation and victory? Do you expect to feel, to think, to love as if “it” never happened? Can you expect that for your friend in need? It takes courage – real faith and courage to believe and pursue God for it.

He has delivered me from so many things in the last nine years. He has literally parted the waters for me and delivered me into my promised land of a much more peace-filled mind and lasting marriage. While the enemy was encouraging me to walk away, God answered my simple “Help Me” cry for help. His help came to me through His Word. I studied it, and I prayed it. And I have learned to live it. I have been changed by it – delivered from the self-destructing me.

Today, I continue to pray for God to deliver me. I am experiencing God’s intervention, His help to rewire my automatic reactions that lead to anxiety and stress-related illnesses. I’m a work in progress and that progress is driven by God pouring out His love for me in answer to my prayers.



You may be very experienced at praying for yourself or others to be delivered from the evil, the enemy, the fear and affliction. Please share your prayer experiences in the comments. We all need your perspective.

Fuel your faith and your courageous prayer life with this simple scripture-based prayer to prompt you to continue to hope. Personalize it for your situation.

I praise You God, my deliverer, and _________’s deliverer.

You have unlimited power over the enemy and the trouble we (they) face. I invite You into this situation. Deliver me (us/them) from evil.

Let Your love and truth be revealed to me (us/them). In Your great power, conquer all that is meant to harm me (us/them).

I believe You can do more than I can ask or imagine in love and in obscurity. You delivered people from lions and fire. You can certainly deliver me (us/them) from ______.  

I believe You are already acting on my (our/their) behalf to deliver me (us/them). You are where my (our/their) help comes from.

In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen

Scripture References: Psalm 34:4, Ephesians 3:16, Psalm 54:7, Ephesians 3:20, Daniel 3, Daniel 6, Psalm 46:1, Psalm 121:2

Has God delivered you from something? Please share your story with us in the comments below. Your answered prayer will be used to encourage our faith.

Follow the #CourageousPrayer series using the hashtag on your social media channels.


Jennifer O. White is the author of the forthcoming book, Prayers for New Brides: Putting on the Armor After the Wedding Dress. She is prayerfully speaking HOPE from the truth of God’s Word at jenniferowhite.com. You can download her free ebook – Prayers Spoken, Lives Changed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!