Friday, April 10, 2015

It lost the OOMPH! A Guest Post by Sydney Weaver



Can you agree that there are certain phrases you have heard over and over and over again until they seem to have lost their OOMPH meaning?  One such phrase is....

"God bless you!"

What are we really saying to someone after they sneeze?  Other such phrases, on the same line are, "Bless your heart!" and "You're blessed!"  Do we hear and believe the words?  And if so, what do they mean to us, if anything?  
Call me bit strange, but I think about the words people say to me and if it is said with purpose or a casual, common feel good phrase.

I realize I am flawed, so truth be told, I struggle with the phrase, "You're blessed!"  Although it sounds good, it seems to be said in response to something of a positive addition to your life (a new car, a gift, being married, having a baby etc.).

The struggle is over!  Last Friday, I saw it in the Light and it now makes sense.

But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.  James 1:25 NIV


"Be blessed!" has its OOMPH!  If someone tells me I am blessed (now), I can emphatically say, "Yes, I am!"  It is in the knowledge that a blessed person is one who looks into God's word and continues and continues in it.  He does not forget what he has heard (in the word) but hears it, takes the words to heart, and does what it says.

But He said, Blessed (happy and to be envied) rather are those who hear the Word of God and obey and practice it!  Luke 11:28 AMP

Are you a hearer and a doer?  Then you know what you are!  Do you hear only and do not do (give out), but want to live the full life in Him?  Here is prayer that will be effective -John the Baptist said...

He must increase, but I must decrease. [He must grow more prominent; I must grow less so.]  John 3:30 AMP

May you be blessed in your hearing and doing today!


 
When I was 24, I asked, 'If You're real, I want to know You.’ That night, alone in my room at midnight April 1991, Jesus changed my life forever!  My heart was opened to the truth that night, the truth of who He really is.  He came in like a flood and radically started to change my life from the inside out - and continues! 
 
This particular night…it all began when I was set ablaze with a desire to give hope and encouragement to others as I now knew!  
 
 
The next morning, I told my roommate what happened in my room the night before.  Though she was quite stunned to hear of my encounter, over the next few days, she couldn’t deny the big change that happened to her best friend. Almost immediately (it seems) I could not keep my mouth shut to tell others about Life in Him.  Within months, I moved from my hometown of MA to attend bible school in FL and then onto CA.  Before graduation, I was offered an opportunity to live in Thailand and India for a year to teach in schools and villages (was I ever nervous!!) and everything in between.  Through it all, my best experiences were simple times like visiting ‘Jane’ who worked in an Indian telephone booth….going by each day and laughing and talking together (through an interpreter)…or walking down my street and having ladies invite me into their home to have coffee together. 
 
I am grateful for all the amazing people who have made me who I am today.  I am thrilled to be a cheerleader for others with words of truth! 
 
I cannot miss the opportunity to mention that I am married to the best man for me - he truly is amazing and amazes me daily.  Our life is full because God is at the forefront of all we hope to do.
To contact me:








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey!! We LOVE hearing from our readers and fellow Church Chicks! Please leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!